Saturday 26 March 2011

The True Purpose Of Music

It has been a couple of roller coaster weeks for a certain young female YouTube/Twitter phenomenon. I'm sure you all know who I'm talking about considering the fact that she has been a Twitter Trending Topic for the last few weeks and has even been mentioned all over the world on various television shows.

Music is an extremely lucrative business and it is obvious that young teens want to become a part of this industry. They think they are 100% guaranteed overnight fame and fortune. Sadly for them, this is not how it works.

Most people understand that the music industry is a big game. This game needs to be played by the rules to succeed, although there are always exceptions. I would sound very naive if I said that natural musical talent always does the best in terms of media coverage and sales, but isn't this what we should expect?

The music consumer wants to listen to songs which conjure up emotion, whether happy or sad, we want to be made to feel something whilst listening to music. By "something", I don't mean how annoyed you are that the artist is singing with no feeling and with lyrics containing no intellectual value!

For me, the true purpose of music is to leave a positive impact on the listener. You may find this in many different forms, but stunning vocals and a great personality always have the biggest positive impact on me.

Feel free to leave me your own comments about this subject!


No comments:

Post a Comment