Tuesday 8 March 2011

American Idol Season 10- My Initial Thoughts

I love listening to all the Idol buzz each year. What really excites me is the fact that new singers, who actually have the vocal prowess to compete with the international pop icons of our day, are created season after season. Some of my favourite artists have taken part in the show and now hold strong positions as reputable recording artists in the music industry.

This season, I was fascinated to find out about the new rules and the new judges. Randy Jackson taking over as the "Simon Cowell" figure on the show slightly confused me as I'm so used to him being very relaxed when giving feedback to the contestants, but this season, he has really stepped up to the challenge of being head judge on the panel. As for the new rules, only time will tell! 

Something which did shock me was the elimination of practically half the contestants during the first week of the live shows. A great deal of incredible talent was lost and I do not think this strategy helped the show, the contestants or the voting citizens by any means. With such a large group of competitors, I believe the elimination stages from previous seasons worked well as its is much easier to get rid of two boys and two girls a week in comparison to the huge 11 contestants who were sent home last week.

Out of the contestants who were sent home after failing to win over the judges during their Wild Card songs, two singers really stood out for me; Robbie Rosen and Kendra Chantelle.

Both of these singers have a unique sound and it is refreshing to see that they are both happy to be themselves and make song choices based on their own personal likes and opinions.

What makes Robbie Rosen stand out from the crowd is his passion for songwriting and complete connection with his audience when he sings. Throughout every performance he gave on the show, I felt as if I was standing right there next to him on stage, something which shows me that he truly believes in what he is singing and has the conviction to back this up. As he loves to write songs, you can understand why he has this connection; the words in the song choices make sense to him, and as the audience, this helps us to understand the emotions he is trying to convey during the song. He is a phenomenal young artist who has so much success ahead of him. He is definitely on my list of artists to look out for in the near future!

Kendra Chantelle has such a beautiful, powerful voice which makes it seem as though she doesn't even have to try very hard to give an incredible performance. I thought she was vocally perfect on every single performance on the show which is extremely hard to do. Even if you are a credited music icon with a multi-million dollar recording contract in the 21st century, it doesn't mean that you can hit all the notes every time, but this young woman has the goods to do just that. I hope that a label picks her up fast as I want her album!

We will just have to wait and see what will happen to the AI contestants from this season, but in the mean time, I'm looking forward to hearing great things from Robbie Rosen and Kendra Chantelle.

No comments:

Post a Comment