Tuesday 8 March 2011

CD's versus Digital Downloads

I love being able to go to my local music store and buy an album there and then. I always have and probably always will. There is something incredibly special about being able to pick up a copy of a cd from your shelf and look through the little booklet inside to discover a bit more about the artist and the album. Some may find this quite odd considering that I am a self-proclaimed music fanatic, but having the physical cd on my music shelf makes me a whole lot happier than looking through the music in my iTunes library on my laptop.

Last Friday, I ventured into my local music/dvd store in pursuit of finding a few more copies of The Other Side Of Down by David Archuleta to give as gifts. Of course, as I live in the UK, this is a much harder task to accomplish as his music is incredibly hard to find due to the lack of promotion in Europe. Whilst scouring through the music racks, I came across the section dedicated to single releases and was surprised to find that it still existed! You could call me naive but I was under the impression that people only bought singles online in the 21st Century! Saying that, I do have to admit that the singles section was minuscule in comparison to the  limitless amount of music you can find on the Internet legally at any one time.

Thanks to the ingenious creation of online music stores, it is not surprising that sales of physical cd's have dropped substantially over the last few years. My heart may be set on physical cd's but I do love the fact that you can listen to a song featured in an advert on the television, and just minutes later, that song can be yours for a minimal price by virtue of the Internet. Online music stores help to get that quick music fix when I am craving certain songs and I have no problem in saying that they are undeniably the way forward in terms of single sales.

Although digital downloads may be the easiest option in our fast driven, consumer based world which we live in, I still choose physical cd's over a download ninety per cent of the time. There has to be exceptions to the rule as some albums are only readily available in the UK on the legal music download sites. With all that said, I'll be sticking to my physical album rule in the near future. The albums on my music shelf hold sentimental value for me and that is something I hope will never change.

If you are wondering what happened in terms of my David Archuleta cd search, I politely asked the sales assistant to order a few more copies for myself and the store, but the reply I received in return was not so promising. Let's just say I will be buying more physical copies of TOSOD from an online vendor instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment