Wednesday 16 October 2013

Music Review: The Milk Carton Kids

It's official. I have a new music obsession:
The Milk Carton Kids
The Californian folk duo have stolen my heart with their brooding melodies, intelligent lyrics and effortless charm. The duo instantly became a favourite of mine when a friend mentioned them back in July. Hours later, and after swift iTunes purchases of all three of their albums; Retrospect, Prologue and The Ash & Clay, I was sold.
A few weeks after I first heard about them, I felt as if I had struck gold when I found out they were playing at Union Chapel in London just weeks later. That show happened last month. It's safe to say that I've been to quite a few shows over the last few years, but Joey Ryan and Kenneth Pattengale have somehow managed to take the spot of My Favourite Concert to date. There was something so ethereal about them playing their music at Union Chapel, a working church, surrounded by the stained glass windows and candle light. I could have sat there in the pews listening for hours.
If you've never listened to the guys before, here's a few recommendations to get you started:
Michigan: This track, taken from their incredible second album titled Prologue, is one of their classics. The memorable lyrics and lulling melody instantly stops you in your tracks and encourages you to think. My best friend, who only found out about the duo when I 'dragged' her along to their gig last month, is obsessed with this song. For someone who's a brand new fan, The Milk Carton Kids have made a perfect first impression on her. Needless to say, this song is on repeat for both of us!
Honey, Honey: Another classic. This will get your feet tapping to no end. All of their songs bring out the best in their voices, but if you listen closely, some great vocal qualities cane be heard  throughout the course of the song.  
Charlie: One word. Beautiful. This song is taken from their album, Retrospect, which was released under their first names and last names before they were officially The Milk Carton Kids.
Now, I don't think there's anything left to say apart from, Give Them a Listen!

No comments:

Post a Comment