Tuesday 15 October 2013

Music Review: Haim - Days Are Gone

The album is finally here. Finally. I don't know about you, but I've been eagerly awaiting the UK release for months. And I'm so glad I can finally hold a physical copy of the CD in my hands whilst listening to the solid musical craftsmanship, or should I say craftswomanship, in its full and everlasting glory.  
 
Falling is the perfect intro into the album and into the siblings' work. It's always interesting to see what a band picks as the song to take the Track Number 1 spot on the album. The first fifteen seconds of Falling entice you into continuing to listen with the undeniable strong sense of direction that's apparent from the use of striking, almost heart-like beats. Haim have managed to capture the build of the song so naturally, yet so effectively, that it puts an already dodgy classic pop boyband "key change after the second chorus" to even more shame.
 
Haim's debut album- Days Are Gone

Can we just talk about The Wire for a minute, please?! I love the fact that Danielle, Este and Alana get to show off their cracking vocals separately during the four minutes and six seconds of the song. Seriously good stuff.
 
The title track on an album can at times be hideously bland and un-thought provoking, but it's safe to say that Haim's title track, Days Are Gone, is refreshing, catchy and fits the album's direction perfectly.
 
After the sensational response the band received after releasing their single, Don't Save Me, last year, it was not a surprise to see that the album went straight to #1 in the UK charts last week. And I think we all know why. We haven't seen a female-led band of this kind who have charisma and genuine music ability of this genre to boot for a long time. They know what they're good at when it comes to making music and I'm happy to say it's exactly what the music-loving public wants to hear. Someone get me tickets to their sold out London shows!

No comments:

Post a Comment